Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Bread, the Staff of Life - Madrid Style - at Panedería Harina

I just listened to a great interview on Esradio with Carmen Baudin, one of the people behind Harina in Madrid.  Harina (which means “flour”) is a bakery-coffee shop that serves everything from breakfast through snacks and light meals, as well as retail breads and rolls, and is located at Plaza de la Independencia 10 in Madrid, near the Puerta de Alcalá, El Retiro, etc.  They don’t have an alcohol license, for various bureaucratic reasons, but you can bring your own wine if your lunch is not complete without it.

The breads sound wonderful – and in my opinion, Spanish breads are among the best in the world and are an undiscovered treasure for non-Spaniards – and what is also neat is their beautiful blog, Madrid Tiene Miga.   “Tener miga” means there’s something about it, there’s a point there, there’s something to it. Here are some baguettes from the website…

baguette_bouabsa_mtm1

In any case, if you go to the site, you can get recipes, great photos, and – if you’re a baker like me – talk about bread and get tips from enthusiasts.  The next time I pass through Madrid, I know where I’m going!